The 1031 pistons represent AVIDs latest development concept which helps tune high speed and low speed damping separately. This simple solution is a 4 hole piston with 2 large 1.5mm holes and 2 small 1.1mm holes (we call it the 2+2 piston), and AVID's test drivers found that these pistons help provide the traction and bump handling of running lighter shock oil or larger piston holes, while still maintaining the control of running heavier oil or smaller hole piston when taking on jumps.
- Use 1.5+1.1 piston in replacement of the 2 x 1.6. In buggy, typically start with 30 wt oil front and 27.5 or 30wt rear.
- Use 1.6+1.1 piston in replacement of the 2 x 1.7. In buggy or truck, typically start with 30 or 32.5 wt oil in rear shocks.
- For a 4wd buggy, we recommend 1.5+1.1 front with 35 wt and 1.6+1.1 rear with 30 wt.
The 1030 series pistons have all holes of the same drill size for those who prefer a more conventional setup but with a tight-fitting piston that has little blow-by. AVID offers popular 2 hole 1.6mm and 4 hole 1.3mm (#55) flat pistons.
- Fits 12mm shocks for Team Associated, TLR 22, and Kyosho (12mm bore, 3mm hole, 2.5mm thick).
- Machined round with a tighter fit to bore of the shock body for less blow-by.
- AV1031 pistons with 2+2 valving offer increased traction without sacrificing jump handling or driveability.
- Each package includes 2 pistons inside of a Doodad container printed with AVID logo.
Setups / Tuning Guide